My family and I experienced a trip of a life-time a year ago to visit some special friends in New Zealand. One of those friends had us to stay for a few days and made us some wonderful Pumpkin Soup. I loved it, my family loved it and I came home needing to find a way to duplicate it!! Pumpkin is a bit different in a NZ, than America, so I substituted with Butternut Squash and couldn’t be happier with the results. We had it almost every week last Fall and can’t wait to begin enjoying it on the Dinner Meal Planning again this Fall. Scroll all the way down for Recipe Card 🙂
Start with the Butternut Squash (obviously!) Cut the skin off and cube it up.
Heat up some olive oil so you can start cooking that squash up.
And while its heating up, start slicing your onion and potatoes to add to your squash
At this point I am tired of peeling and chopping, so I substitute peeling and dicing carrots for baby carrots.
Add those easy carrots into the colorful delightful-ness and listen to that pot sizzle!!!
Give a few stirs every so often as veggies get tender. I love stirring a full pot.
Once tender, transfer to crock pot…look at those roasted veggies.
Add Chicken Bouillon over top. This is my favorite brand to use…
Poor boiling water over and let that crock pot do its thing. Warning you will enjoy delicious smells from the kitchen.
Now you can sit back and relax all afternoon knowing that dinner is cooking. Ok, maybe not. Maybe you should work on the things you’ve been putting off on your to do list instead.
Ok, once you are about ready to eat. Use an Immersion Blender to blend the soup together.
Add in some salt and pepper to season and continue blending until smooth. It is so smooth and creamy and sweet we don’t ever add in half and half cream. You just don’t need it, I tell you!
Serve the soup up and enjoy. It’s like a Harvest in your Bowl!
When I first made this soup, I was not sure how to even cut into an uncooked Butternut Squash to cut it into cubes. So I did what all 2016 women do, I YouTubed it. Here is the link, incase you don’t know how to either.
We may earn commissions from links.
Butternut Squash Soup
Delicious Fall Soup
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium- large Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups of boiling water
- 3 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base, or 3 tsp chicken granules
- Salt/ pepper
- Ground Cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 cup half and half (optional)
- In a large sauce pan, heat oil and saute squash, carrot and potato until they begin to soften. Transfer to a crock pot. Add the chicken stock over top of veggies and pour over boiling water. Stir. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. (Modify to your crock pot for cooking time). Use a immersion blender to liquefy soup. Season with salt, pepper, and ground Cardamom, (opt) to taste. Can add cream if desired.
- Gluten, soy and dairy free, (if you don't add cream).