So as Laura said in her Meal Planning Post yesterday, the question you would get in the grocery store is Paper or Plastic? When it comes to meal planning Laura and I ask Paper or Computer? I like a mix of both 🙂 In some researching on Meal Planning Apps, I found that the reviews were mixed and not a very stable place to keep all your recipes.
If your phone stops supporting the updates or you get a new phone and the app doesn’t transfer smoothly there is a lot to loose in the storage of all your recipes. So for me, in my meal planning, I use a mix of some paper and some computer and apps.
So I give you my:
10 Step Meal Plan Process
- I gather my Recipe Binder with the Recipe Capsule and Index, tablet with my Pinterest account and my phone where I have my calendar! 🙂 I like to gather my family too and have then put in some input of meals they are wanting 🙂
- I start by putting dinner plans into my Google Calendar. I like being able to plan right into my calendar either on my phone or computer, because the events of each day/evening are right there. My hubby and I share our google calendar and he likes being able to see what is for dinner too. If our schedule changes I just move the meal to another day- so easy to do on the google calendar. Plus, I can easily refer back to my meals in the calendar over the past few weeks/ months.
- I use a Grocery List App on my phone. I like using an app for shopping as there is not much to risk in losing recipes like the Meal Plan Apps. My list is regularly changing – besides the staples, and if you need to change to a new app it’s a way to start afresh. I like having it on my phone as no matter where I am I usually have my phone. If I think about something I need to add to the list, I add it immediately. I also try to add something when we run out. Try is the key word there!
- I go through my recipes and check what I have and what I need and add it to my grocery store list app. More to come later this week on what I like about my Grocery Store App.
- I generally plan for one week at a time sometimes two. When my kids were younger I would always plan for two weeks- sometimes a month.
- We generally eat the same things for breakfast/ lunch so those are just staples that stay on my list. I will make a note on the calendar if we plan for a special breakfast or lunch and add those things to my list.
- I then go through my calendar and double check to make sure I am not needing to add anything else. Potlucks, company, holidays, taking a meal to a church family and kids needing some food to go, etc.
- My Grocery Store App allows a place for “Other” so I will add in non-grocery items if I going to a store like Super Walmart. If I need a gift bag/ card or pillows- I like to have it on my list just in case, I can pick that up while I am out!
- I also like to check in to see how the toothpaste, shampoo, soap supplies, etc are at in the bathrooms and add those.
- Ready to go shopping! Armed with my list on my phone. If I need to double check my weekly meals it’s on my calendar.